Wednesday, January 2, 2008

NEW WEBSITE FOR DEAF TWEENS - GO PAULA ROSENTHAL!

Well, I've got my pjs on and I was just about to head for bed, when I checked CI CIRCLE and found Paula's message:
Hi everyone,

It is my great pleasure to announce that the HearingExchange Kids
site is now live! I hope you'll take a look at the site I've created
for elementary and middle school aged kids with hearing loss. So many
of our kids are mainstreamed and don't know anyone else with a
hearing loss so now is their chance! :)Here's the link:
http://www.hearingexchangekids.com.

The site has a Forums area for the kids to talk to one another on the
message boards. It is password protected and registration is
required. For registration, the kids create a username and need to
enter their email address. Their email addresses will be kept
strictly private. Please encourage your children to use only a screen
name online and not their real names. I will be moderating the boards
to reinforce this.

I have posted a series of links within categories on the right
sidebar that will appeal to the kids. These include other blogs and
websites, captioned videos, games related to hearing loss,
information, conventions kids can attend to meet others, and a lot
more.

There's also a Kids Speak section where I will publish the kids'
short stories and poems. So, if you have a budding writer or poet, be
sure to tell them about it!

The kids can also participate by submitting links to their favorite
kids sites to the Links area.

I'd love for parents to be guest bloggers. If you have a funny story
that you and your child want to share, please email it to me. You can
also participate by sending me links to things you think will be
beneficial to the kids. The Links area is for general kid related
sites, but the sidebar categories and links will be geared
specifically for kids with hearing loss.

Please take a few minutes to look over HearingExchange Kids and let
me know what you think. Help spread the word by emailing this to
whomever you think would be interested so our kids can meet online,
develop friendships and help their peers!

Thank you,


Paula Rosenthal (bilateral Freedoms) Mom to Julie, age 12 (bilateral
Freedoms and 2 sons with normal hearing, ages 10 and 4


Paula also writes on the tween site, itself:
Welcome to HearingExchange Kids, “the” place for kids with hearing loss online! If you’re a kid in elementary or middle school and you’re deaf or hard of hearing, HearingExchange Kids is where you can hang out, meet other kids, play games, watch videos, get your poems and stories published and so much more.

I’m Paula and I wear two cochlear implant processors. I wore hearing aids growing up and went to public school. I was the only student in my grade with a hearing loss and I only knew of one other student in the entire school district who was like me. I had lots of friends but every now and then it would’ve been nice to talk with other kids who were deaf or hard of hearing. My friends with normal hearing just didn’t “get it” when I was frustrated in the cafeteria or missed the jokes while everyone laughed. I’ve created HearingExchange Kids to be a place for you to meet and talk with other kids who “get it.”

IS THIS WOMAN/MOM UNBELIEVABLE OR WHAT? YOU MUST CHECK OUT THE SITE, IT LOOKS AMAZING - GOTTA LOVE ROCKIN' HOT PINK! SHE HAS INCLUDED A LOT OF INTERESTING LINKS LIKE THE CI CIRCLE CAFE PRESS TEES, TOTES AND SWEATS WITH COCHLEAR IMPLANT RELATED DESIGNS - ALL PROCEEDS GO TO VARIOUS CHARITIES. GO! GO! GO! SIGN UP YOUR KIDS!!!

5 comments:

HearingExchange said...

Jodi,

This is hysterical! I was just on your site, reading your New Year's posts and really loving learning more about you and your family and especially the fact that you are writing another book! That is FANTASTIC and I'm so thrilled for you!

Thank you, thank you for being such a passionate cheerleader for my efforts as well. I'm looking forward to the growth of HearingExchange Kids. I've been searching online for years and have found nothing like it. :)

Hugs,

Paula

Unknown said...

Paula!
Bizarre! I posted this five minutes ago and here you are! You never cease to amaze me with every new project and passion you turn into reality, quickly and effectively.
Congratulations! And thank you so much for YOUR support and encouragement...Looking forward to watching the site grow, and sign me up as a guest blogger! Jodi

HearingExchange said...

Absolutely! You'd be a great first guest blogger so get going. I bet the kids would love to read about how your son inspired you to write a book, or what life is like for a deaf boy in Italy, or... I'm sure you'll come up with something great! LOL

Anonymous said...

what is the name of the song? could you put the lyrics on your site?

Unknown said...

Hi! I just posted the lyrics link to Colbie Caillat's song Bubbly on the latest post. I'm obsessed with the song and they lyrics are as beautiful as her voice, check it out and thanks for visiting...Jodi
http://www.elyrics.net/read/c/colbie-caillat-lyrics/bubbly-lyrics.html