Monday, February 22, 2010

The Fence

 
I went through a period where I would sit Indian-style on a bench in our court watching my kids play and there's this wooden fence that separates our court from the Tuscan hills- when they first built that fence, I thought it was the most beautiful fence.

I would gaze over those Tuscan hills, and I had this overwhelming urge to smash that fence.

Strangely, six months passed and one of the wooden logs in the three-tier fence fell down. I saw a minor break in the fence and took a deep breath. Those hills seemed closer.

Every six months another wooden log somehow fell down from that one spot, and now there is this gaping hole in the fence. Unbelievable. Between the gaping hole and the hills, there is a huge field and I know there are snakes. Terrifies me.
Yet, I have this uncontrollable desire to get naked and break for the hills.

*Smile*

People ask me all the time if I'm planning on moving back to the States. No, I'm trapped in Tuscany. But, at the end of the day, trapped is a state of mind...and my mind is free.

Jordan plays soccer and hide-and-go-seek with his friends in that court, and Sofia Madyson rides her bike like a champ, round and round that court.
And I sit on the bench and breathe.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

For my college essay into NYU the topic was: Choose your favorite piece of artwork and explain why it is your favorite.

I wrote about my parents backyard. The thick woods with the little stream that runs through a little ice house at the bottom of the rolling hills. My father's garden with it's grape vines, strawberries, zucchinis, corn... and the enormous apple trees that shade the little patch of garden. It was paradise to me and a perfect work of art.

I'm glad to hear that you've found your perfect work of art to admire -- which includes the place and people in it.

Unknown said...

Debbie...........
That...........was...........really..............deep:-)
Beautiful- thank you.