Friday, May 16, 2008

La SINPIA Endorses RALLY CAPS: Thanks to our Child Psychiatrist Extraordinaire


I am overwhelmed, exhausted and amazed. Just when you think life calms down, another exciting thing happens. This period is plain old beyond. Okay. Let's talk Child Psychiatrist and his role in our journey...but before I do, I just want to thank Dr. Mauro Camuffo for his assistance in my request for the endorsement of RALLY CAPS on behalf of the SINPIA (SOCIETA' ITALIANA DI NEUROPSICHIATRIA DELL'INFANZIA E DELL'ADOLESCENZA - THE ITALIAN SOCIETY OF CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY)

Dr. Camuffo, famous for his eloquent speeches, many published works, ability to connect with children, leadership positions, and a mean jumpshot on the b-ball court, has been a consistent source of reliability and strength in our journey.

Every single time I would go to Baltimore to visit my parents, Jordan would have a meltdown due to the added language stress of English on top of Italian and my mom would say, "Jordan needs anger management assistance." So, immediately upon my return, I would RUN to Dr. Camuffo for reassurance that my son was not an aggressive behavioral case. (I think I was the behavioral case *smile*)He would calm me down and say that acquiring Italian was frustrating enough for Jordan, adding English on top of that was obviously more than he could handle. So, I would give him the old Italian double cheek smack and go on my way...a lot less worried.

*During those years, ANYONE who could decrease my worry level was my hero*

The role of the Child Psychiatrist is also instrumental in the Italian version of the "IEP." We have meetings with all of the teachers twice a year and Dr. Camuffo attends these meetings to provide support for both the teachers and the family regarding didactic and social concerns. Through the years, he has gotten to know our family very well and has consistently been available to answer any questions I may have had about Jordan.

Dr. Camuffo is just another fiiiiiiiiiiiine example of an Italian Medical Professional.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats as always, Aunt Jodi!

elizabeth said...

GREAT news! That's wonderful!

Abbie said...

You are kicking ass and taking names Jodi! That is great news!

Anonymous said...

wait a second, rachel-jodi is your aunt??? IM SO CONFUSED!