Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Hot, Dyke, Sister Niki's Response

God I'm pissed off this morning! The freaking neighborhood cats are in heat and I have a male cat. Let me tell you the sound of female cats in heat is about as sexy as when a doctor looks in your ear...although, that would depend on the doctor. How hot is Patrick Dempsey???? Some women are so aggressive.

Anyway, for the past three months I've been waking up either at 3:31 am or 4:16 am consistently. 3/31 is my anniversary...and 4/16? Beats the hell out of me, but as opposed to two nights ago, I managed to sleep without dreaming, which would have been perfect had the sound of terrifying miaos and HARD scratching not kept waking me up. Then, suddenly, the light in my tired brain came on and I stuck my iPod in my ears to listen to this song. Ah...peace.

I woke up about an hour ago to my sister's response to yesterday's blog. Here it is, yeah that's my sistaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh:

Wow,I need to read my sister's blogs more often. And I feel like I need to reread these comments 10 times before I have a complete understanding of what everyone is saying. I am quite sure that everyone involved in some minority group goes through a similar experience be it language or not.

It is funny, just the other day, I was in a restaurant with my girlfriend and there were a group of women signing at the table across from us. They were showing a video to each other on adopting a baby. I was intrigued by the group and found myself gazing at them a number of times. I wondered what it was like to live in a world within a world. But then I thought to myself, I suppose I do that too being gay. I have a world within a world of my own. And I feel people's gazes upon me all the time. I used to be shy about affection and self expression, especially because I was a teacher at one point. Now, as I have grown more confident within myself and who I am, I do not care how the people around me perceive my interactions with my loved ones. I am myself and I am proud of who I am, and this world is mine for the taking.

I am here to teach and educate. I always have been, whether it be to children of all ages in the form of schooling, or to lgbt youth in the form of a role model. I can never understand why people within the lgbt community have issue with bisexual or transgendered human beings. It seems so much that we are all in the same spot, just trying to be accepted in this big world. Who are we to decide that one way of living is better than another?

It phases me now that the same controversies go on in the deaf world. CI verses sign language? It seems from reading this that people who choose to raise their deaf children one way can be opposed to another way to raise a deaf child. I wonder why people need to have such strong views that one way is better than another. I am guilty of this too. At one point in my life, I wanted my nephew to learn sign language. I feared that he would never be able to communicate with us. That he would never be able to communicate period. I was convinced that he would constantly be frustrated with no real language that he could grasp.

When he received that cochlear implant, to me, it was a miracle. A second chance for language. However, I still have the idea in my head that I would want him to learn sign language. But I guess over time i have learned to trust what my sister is doing with him. Who am I to make her decisions? Who am I to cast judgment upon how she raises her child. I can only try to be supportive and hope for the best.

I suppose for the most part, that has been the way she has acted toward me and my sexuality. And just for the record, it was the "lipstick intervention" and I will not comment further on it. I see many signing people at prides all over the country. That is like living a world within a world within a world. Amazing how people are resilient and survive this extremely harsh, opinionated world that we live in. I feel like i am babbling with not much of a point to make here.

I suppose I am saying that we all are just trying to be the best people we can be and make a difference. People are different, people are beautiful whether signing, gay, black, jewish, or whether they choose to where a cochlear implant and adjust to the hearing world. To each his own to be cliche. If we all could try and understand eachother, this world would be a much better place. Thanks Jodi for including me in your writings. You are a beautiful sister.
Niki Cutler
DITC Inc.
www.ditc.net

*And you are a beautiful sister, too*

23 comments:

VBnBama said...

AAAWWWW! Y'all are precious! I think Niki made some good points and thank you for sharing your sista w/us!

Stephen said...

Hellooooooooo....416 is the number I play (and have for years) for Niki's birthDAY and yours!! "Eachother" is two words unless someone is making up a new word!? Nice response from your seeestor! LuvUDad

Stephen said...

Another even bigger helllllllllooooooooo from Dad....416 is the date RALLY CAPS was published, April 16th....get with the program! Love that picture of Niki...it's my fav! Dadio

Anonymous said...

I think i have seen her at Michfest last Aug. was it her? yes! she is one HOT dyke! lucky she got you as a sister.

Unknown said...

Val, thanks...my pleasure, it's all about the family! Jodi

Unknown said...

Okay, Dadio, thanks, Jodi

Unknown said...

Anonymous...yep, that's her! She's been doing Michigan (the week-long festival, if I remember correctly) for a while, loves it. Jodi

Stephen said...

BTW, if y'all didn't know it, RALLY CAPS was dedicated to Niki...she's one unique, awesome and special daughter/sister! No more comments from Dad today - three should hold me for a while! d

The Brights said...

I am addicted. Each day I visit your blog, sometimes more than once, and some days I feel as if I should peek through only one eye just to be sure it isn’t too ‘mature’ for my precious little eyes! Today, I decided to comment because I think a sister’s thoughts are almost as important as one’s own. My sisters are my life and I would have never gotten here without them. ANYHOW…It is so great to see you put so much emotion into your blog and I love how you include everyone – from the ones you love the most to those that sometimes should not even be acknowledged. I am from a very rural community – white, middle-class community. I am hundreds of miles away from a Deaf (or Gay) community and I learn so much from you and all of those who comment here. The controversy is great. The support is great. It is great seeing individuals being individuals – although, some people should find a nicer way to do so. In a recent blog, I stated how entertaining or heartwarming some blogs are. Your blog is far beyond entertaining, some days heartwarming, and other days they’re frickin hilarious. Thank you for sharing your life with those you don’t even know exist!

Anonymous said...

ask her if she rememebers "hanging out" at the deaf camp with bonfires... There was appx 10-15 of us.

Thats awesome!.. Hopefully she can pick up a quite a few signs to learn! :)

Unknown said...

Dad,
Your limit is three comments a week. *smile* Jodi

Unknown said...

Dear Very BRIGHT Woman,
THAT was the warmest, nicest, most appreciated comment EVER! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave it...hugs, Jodi

Steve said...

C.I. can hear the radio? Something to think hard! Smell the coffee!

mishkazena said...

Not only you, but also your family are cool! ;)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Elizabeth...you are not so bad yourself *smile* Jodi

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your responses. Thanks Jodi for posting this blog! Thanks to my father for making me read yesterday's blog. For the record, I began DITC (dykesinthecity) as a sole proprietor on none other than 4/16. Just to add to that date. And you are damn right I remember hanging out at the deaf camp fires after night stage!! We had a blast with you all. And let me tell you, there are some hot deaf dykes as well! A few of you bought my clothing. Well, it is great to see this happening. My sister has been so boring for so long and this is just really great! Well, signing out! Anyone want to have any more information on DITC, just e-mail me at niki@ditc.net. Cheers! We sell to all countries!

Loudest Mom said...

Jodi-

I think your sister's comments are spot on! I'm glad she took the time to post, and that you took the time to share her story w/ us. Makes my blog look positively mundane however-LOL. Thank you (and her) for sharing. I also share in your lust for Patrick Dempsey. I have seen two different doctors this week and not one came close- BUMMER!

Abbie said...

Whew, if I was gay *wink* :) She reminds me of Jackie Warner.

Your sister is right on! I have plenty of gay friend and I support them wholeheartedly. I've gone to my fair share of drag queen clubs and pride parades and I am glad that I was able to experience it. The act of being open is one of the most liberating feelings in the world.

The world within a world is THE perfect description..

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's been awhile since I commented, but I do have to comment about your posts on the gay community because I find that learning about the gay community is fascinating as I went to a high school that had a large group of gay people. My high school even had a gay club, and it was quite popular, and my principal was even a lesbian too and even quite a few teachers! Many people who were gay were never afraid to come out of the closet. One of the guys even wore high heel shoes every day. A few guys wore eye shadows and eye liner! Many girls always drooled over the gay guys as the were the sweetest and most adorable looking people. Another thing that was really interesting was that there were even a few students who came out of the closet only at school and at other places outside of home as their parents wouldn't accept them being gay. (One of my friends was even kicked out of the house when he told his parents that he was gay...) Basically, when they were at home, they had to hide their identity. It's amazing how some of those students were able to be strong and to follow their minds and believe in themselves rather than their parents' beliefs! I'm in awe that your sister will stand up for who she is!
Also, Niki, don't worry about Jordan not knowing sign language. I'm a 20 year old CI user, and I've never used sign language. In fact, Jodi posted a video of me in one of her posts. So, I have every confidence that Jordan will continue to do well while he does not know sign language.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://sivubajuja.servetown.com/bubyly.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started to get real money.
It gets down to select a proper companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started take up real income.
It's all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.