Tuesday, May 3, 2011

American Inside

Comment left by an Italian in regard to the USA:
"I am disgusted by what Obama did, that he gave the order for the death of Bin Laden. In this way, he stained his image with this "international murder". To see the Americans celebrating the death of Bin Laden is ridiculous. To think that when the Talebans and Afgans rejoice in the death of an American and we say THEY are Barbarians: now the Americans and Europeans rejoice in the death of Bin Laden..."
These are the types of comments circulating facebook on the Italian side. This is what outsiders see, when they read articles about the American reaction to the news of Bin Laden's death.
I remained silent for 24 hours. 
Then, I began replying to a couple of the comments left. 
I wrote, "Americans are not dancing to celebrate the death in and of itself, rather, they are dancing because for the first time in a long, long time, they feel free to dance."
Ground Zero is the heart of the United States of America, it was laid bare to the world-walls down, but it never stopped beating.
I am profoundly American.
”I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that” — An Anonymous American
 

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Amazing post Jodi! Nestor and I were discussing the same thing watching the crowds at ground zero rejoicing. Mind you...we watched the towers go down out our living room and bedroom windows. Thanks for keeping our eyes open!!!! xo

Unknown said...

I remember your post on 9-11...love to you:-)