Monday, November 12, 2007

Josh Swiller's video...UNREAL!




UNBELIEVABLE...What impressed me the most about Josh Swiller is his ability to
adapt. He went through a period where he couldn't hear anything
after being raised with the oral approach and survived that period
learning sign. Then, he was willing to take the risk to return to
the world of hearing that he had learned to live without, it's his
character aside from his obvious writing talent that really struck
me. The video was really well done, especially for a parent
wondering how the implant works and what effect it produces for a
person who was used to hearing with hearing aids. The part where he
hears "sh" which is extremely difficult to hear with aids and then
says, "shit," was so natural and human, the video was beautiful!
I also appreciate that the video has captions- the original one I found on his website did not, then I found this one...can anyone give me a lesson on how to include captioning on videos??
Go to Josh Swiller's Blog for more info...and BUY HIS BOOK THE UNHEARD...A Memoir of Deafness and Africa.

Just to give you an idea of his writing style, click on this article from the WASHINGTON POST
He is amazing!

1 comment:

Abbie said...

I can't wait to meet him and Michael Chorost! They are doing a dual reading of The Unheard together! I'm so psyched!!