Wednesday, September 15, 2010

'Bout Damn Time: Josh Swiller Appears

 

Two nights ago as I was sitting here typing, I heard Jordan talking to his x-box live computer-online-yes,-I-can-hear-with-my-headphones-and-play, and he said, "Hey! Don't call me Deaf! I am Deaf! And if you call me Deaf, that's an insult, because you mean it as an insult."

Whoa!

I ran into the room and asked who he was talking to and he said, "Go back to the computer, Mamma, it's under control."

Sometimes, Jordan surprises me.

Today was his first day of high school. This was our conversation in the car on the way to school:

Jordan: MOM, WHY DON'T YOU CLEAN THE CAR IT'S A MESS WHY DON'T YOU GIVE THE DOG AWAY SHE SMELLS YOU'RE NOT A NORMAL MOTHER MY GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE IS CLEANER THAN YOURS I WANT TO GO FOR MY MOTOR-SCOOTER LICENSE EVERYONE HAS A MOTORBIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: DID YOU PUT ON YOUR DEODORANT AND BRUSH YOUR TEETH MY CAR IS A MESS BECAUSE YOU LEAVE YOUR STUFF EVERYWHERE HOW CAN I KEEP A HOUSE CLEAN WHEN THERE ARE FOUR OF YOUR SMELLY FRIENDS IN IT AT ALL TIMES YOU WILL NEVER GET A MOTORBIKE!!!!!!!!!!

When we finally reached his school, I got out of the car, we started walking towards his school, we kind of touched shoulders and he held my hand.

I said, "Jordan, let go of my hand. NOW!"
He looked at me perplexed.
I said, "Jordan, do you want to walk into high school holding your mommy's hand?"

He looked at me, started laughing, and dropped my hand.

He then walked into his brand new classroom alone.

CLICK IT: "I THINK I HEAR YOU..." by Josh Swiller

"But for millions of deaf people, their most intimate relationship is with their hearing loss. More than family, it’s always there, a teacher, a guide, and a friend."

No comments: