Thursday, September 9, 2010

Apples and Honey


In the past week, I've been in contact with a variety of people of a variety of ages with a variety of lifestyles...one thing in common- Deaf.
One father is traveling throughout Italy to try to find the best care for his 17 month old daughter- you should see the pictures of the two of them together. He lost another child to leukemia. And now he is determined to help his other child.

I chatted with a fifty-five year old man who is having his surgery tomorrow, who needed encouragement before going in for the cochlear implant surgery, so that he could "hear his granddaughter call him when she needed him" and so that he could "hear the wind again" when riding his beloved horse.

A fourteen year old girl popped up on the Italian forum, terrified of her upcoming surgery, needing encouragement. When I saw the date of her birthday and the year 1996, the year Jordan was born...I got the lump in my throat so I began emailing her. She wrote to me today, "Mrs. Jodi Michelle, everything went fine and I'm home and recovering." I told her I was so happy for her, she was a girl with balls and if she ever called me "Mrs." again, I'd smack her upside the head.

*Smile*

Enriching is an understatement for what helping people help themselves gives me.
In the end, I'm pretty selfish.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Gut Yontiff! I'm glad you're enjoying some apples and honey at this time of year.

Paula Rosenthal said...

L'shana tova, dear Jodi! You are selfless, not selfish! May this year be a bright one filled with sunshine, laughter and tons of happiness. xo

Unknown said...

Love to you both:-)

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blogs, but the ideas really rocks, also I have a few questions like to ask, what's your contact details?

-Johnson