Monday, February 2, 2009

Jon Alsop and Joe Burkom- Two Special Men


If I were in Baltimore right now, I would be preparing to attend two funerals one right after the other at the same funeral home to celebrate the lives of two great men I have had the fortune to have known.

Jon Alsop- Big, no huge Teddy Bear, always smiling, hugging, playing football, smooching his teeny tiny girlfriend Jill, I can still see them from High School- the most unlikely couple ever, yet so freakin' adorable. 38 years old- heart attack. Is that possible? One of the most optimistic, positive people I've ever known and had the misfortune to have lost contact with...but thanks to facebook, I got to see him one last time...

Joe Burkom- (Mr. Burkom, for a brief, very brief period "Uncle Joe" *smile*) Mr. Burkom was my friend Sue's dad. He ruled the living room and the swimming pool, in a silent, yet, I'll kick your ass if you say something out of line kind of way. During my high school years, college years and the time post-university when I lived with Sue, I was often at Mr. and Mrs. Burkom's house. They adopted me...and fed me really good home-cooked meals (and every now and then steamed crabs!). Note: lived for Mrs. Burkom's french onion soup. I don't know, Mr. Burkom was so cool. Whenever I'd arrive, he'd either be legs kicked up on the sofa reading the sports section or remote control in hand watching the O's game. Whenever I'd arrive Thanksgiving Eve to pick up Sue to go to the Tavern, he'd be terrorizing some small child and making him cry...so funny. Thanks to him, I got my first waitressing job at Pat and Mike's in Towson. Sue and I were star foodservers and we looked really hot in that uniform consisting of starched shirts, gray trousers and a bow tie! (horrendous)

I know that he lived and breathed for his family. Kenny was his superstar baseball Clemson star and Sue was his little girl, it was obvious. I don't know what has happened in the last twelve years, I just remember the time before the past twelve years, and for me it was a beautiful feeling to have been welcomed into their family.

So, my condolences to the two families who are suffering right now...I'm sorry I can't be there to sit shivah...

Love,
Jodi and family

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Jo....Sorry to hear about your friends passing. I know how much you adored the Burkoms. Live each day to the fullest - make the most of every day! Kiss your kids and your husband! And DON'T BE ANNOYED at your father!! LuvDadio
PS: Another victory this morning, 12-7! Five in a row and still in first place! Like I said, Live each day........!!

Loudest Mom said...

Jodi- It totally is wrong that someone so young would suffer from a heart attack, but I'm now a believer (although in our case it was sudden cardiac arrest- age 38, four kids). That said, we were beyond lucky, and my husband survived a 2-3% chance of survival. I think every day about those families who are not so lucky. Huge hugs to everybody....life should not be that short. And, for your other loss- still not fair! Good people should get to stick around longer,
Melissa

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments...so sad. Melissa, it was not his time to go...